As a mechanical engineer you will generate finished machine designs from a general concept. We expect you to use good judgment and investigation to make robust and effective equipment with minimal instruction. Machine types include most aspects of anything we sell, up to and including parts feeding systems, form-fill-seal loaders, and complex automated assembly machines that utilize cam, servo, pneumatic, and robot motion. These designs must address:
Performance: Optimize ability of the machine to perform the specified function, appropriate longevity, maintainability, etc.
Cost: Minimize cost in all phases, design time, purchased parts, materials, fabrication, assembly and debug.
Delivery time: Minimize time to completion in all steps, including engineering, purchased parts, fabrication and assembly.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All essential functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. Employees needing or requesting reasonable accommodation should contact the Human Resources Manager.
- Conformance to the customer machine specifications
- Develop appropriate solutions to design problems
- Collaboration with the design team members and other subject matter expert coworkers during the design phase
- Perform all necessary engineering calculations and document the calculations in a reviewable format
- Produce 3D CAD assemblies and part models
- Select application appropriate and cost-effective servos, gear boxes, pneumatic devices, and other commonly purchased machine components
- Discuss the machine sequence, control requirements, and electrical components with the appropriate mechanical and controls design team members
- Select application appropriate materials of construction and coatings
- Create detailed drawings of designs while adhering to accepted AGR and ASME standards
- Create Bills of Materials to AGR requirements
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from AGR administered Lean training
- Follow ISO9001 procedures for engineering, including reviews and information capture
- Support the fabrication and assembly teams on technical issues during equipment fabrication, assembly, and debug.
- Support the Technical Writing team with Machine Manual content pertaining to station designs
- Travel to customer sites in support of AGR business (rarely)
- Be consistently at work, punctual, and clock job times accurately
- Ability to proficiently use SolidWorks or a comparable 3D software package
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Overtime is on an as needed basis and at the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Travel with reasonable notice, for installation, training and service work
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in an applicable field, (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, (Automated) Manufacturing Engineering, Physics, etc.)
- 5 or more years of engineering experience preferably focused on machine design or in a related field
- Proficient in MS office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project)
- 3D CAD Skills, SolidWorks