As a mechanical engineer you will generate finished machine designs from a general concept. You will be expected to use good judgment and investigation to make robust, effective equipment and do so with minimal instruction. Machine types include most aspects of anything we sell, up to and including feeder machines, form-fill-seal loaders, more complex stations, cam design etc. These designs must address:
Performance: Optimize ability of the machine to perform the specified function, appropriate longevity, maintainability, etc.
Cost: Minimize cost in all phases, design time, purchased parts, materials, fabrication, assembly and debug.
Delivery time: Minimize time to completion in all steps, including engineering, purchased parts, fabrication and assembly.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All essential functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. Employees needing or requesting reasonable accommodation should contact the Human Resources Manager.
- Adhere to the machine specifications.
- Develop appropriate solutions to design problems.
- Collaborate with the design team on issues pertaining to the project.
- Perform all necessary engineering calculations and document the calculations in a reviewable format.
- Select appropriate, cost effective purchased parts with acceptable delivery times.
- Discuss the machine sequence, control requirements, and electrical components with the appropriate mechanical and controls design team.
- Make detailed drawings of designs while adhering to accepted AGR and ASME standards.
- Fill out the Bill of Materials to AGR requirements.
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from Lean training
- Follow the ISO9001 procedure for engineering, including reviews and information capture.
- Support the shop on technical issues during fabrication, assembly and debug.
- Develop Machine Manual content pertaining to station designs.
- Travel to customer sites in support of AGR business (rarely).
- Be consistently at work and punctual; clock job times accurately.
- Willingness to learn Solidworks and other job-related software packages and ability to do so with appropriate training within 3 months.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Overtime is on an as needed basis and at the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Travel with reasonable notice, for installation, training and service work.
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor of Science in an applicable field, (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Physics).