Directs and coordinates activities of the Mechanical Engineering Department to design products and systems by performing the following duties
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All essential functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. Employees needing or requesting reasonable accommodation should contact the Human Resources Manager.
- Direct department activities to design new products and modify existing designs.
- Provide guidance and training to staff, motivates individuals to achieve results, and recruits and maintains a high quality staff.
- Resolve problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Drive new processing technologies that are designed for manufacturability.
- Advise management of new developments that may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and /or inter-departmental relations.
- Collaborate with the project manager on issues pertaining to the projects.
- Direct controls designers regarding the machine sequence, control requirements, and electrical components.
- Approve detailed drawings of designs ensuring they adhere to accepted AGR and ASME standards.
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from Lean training
- Follow the ISO9001 procedure for engineering.
- Support the shop on technical issues during fabrication, assembly and debug.
- Travel to customer sites in support of AGR business.
- Be consistently at work and punctual.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor of Science in an applicable field, (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Physics).
- A minimum of 5 years experience in engineering design.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in people management or equivalent combination of education end experience.
- Must possess effective interpersonal skills and be able to deal with challenges associated with a diversified workforce.
- Proficient in Solidworks and other job related software packages.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Directly supervises 10-15 employees in the Mechanical Engineering Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with The Arthur G. Russell Company’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Travel with reasonable notice, for installation, training and service work.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in an applicable field such as Mechanical Engineering
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering design.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in people management or equivalent combination of education end experience.