Summary: The Project Engineer develops the original design concepts by applying sound machine design practices, coordinates the project design team activities, and acts as the primary technical contact ensuring design goals and objectives are robust and accomplished accurately. Other duties may be assigned. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least ten years of experience as a project engineer or manufacturing supervisor in any type of equipment manufacturing company, preferably ten or more years of experience in equipment manufacturing, and preferably several years of experience in complex automation systems manufacturing.
- Significant experience working with cross functional project team.
- Good communication skills.
- Active mentor to Project Engineers I, II and designers at all levels.
- Strong computer skills — Word processing, spreadsheet, Microsoft Project, Power Point.
- Highly proficient with SolidWorks
- BS. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, and support procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Demonstrated consistent successful performance on large size projects OR multiple medium size projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated the ability to assist Engineering Dept. Manager to manage, guide and provide necessary assistance to peers and entire department during his/her absence.
- Perform in role of design lead on assigned projects.
- Ensure mechanical designs meet the budget, schedule, and performance goals as defined by specifications.
- Provide clear work instruction to team members including the section list, DVC, and pertinent information.
- Assist designers in the preparation of drawings, calculation, specifications and meet all expectations required of machine designers.
- Checks designs for accuracy and simplicity of design as well as meeting the customer requirements.
- Perform as designer as required and on projects managed by others when time permits.
- Travel to customer facilities to review projects as needed.
- Follows-up and coordinates the development of design problems with manufacturing and build.
- Facilitate internal controls engineering reviews.
- Facilitate the creation of any required customer documentation including FDS, SDS etc.
- Facilitate the update of prints and redlines.
- Approve selection of major components.
- Maintain appropriate communications with the Customer regarding the technical requirements of the project during the engineering phase.
- Manage and distribute all customer related product drawings and 3D model information to the design team ensuring current revision control is maintained.
- Visit, confer and evaluate progress of every team member at least once a day, this would include all assigned engineering staff.
- Review the performance of all team members with their supervisors.
- Participate in internal and customer design reviews, print reviews, and FMEA .
- Presents and receives approval of customer for machine layout, fixture, and all station design concepts.
- Provide input to project managers for customer change requests pertaining to engineering hours, material cost, and engineering schedule ramifications.
- Provide updates of progress regarding the schedule and design plan to the Engineering Manager and Project Manager weekly.
- Participate in project status review meetings as required.
- Provide section list and recommended design flow to the Engineering Manager to support the DRP creation and upkeep by the Engineering Manager.
- Update the project manager as to the schedule and project plan, identifying critical path activities.
- Assess and identify risks, develop and implement risk mitigation plan.
- Ensure all project deliverables are met and supporting engineering documentation is prepared for all milestone payments.
- Support sales activities as needed.