The Project Manager plans, directs, and coordinates project activities, acting as primary customer contact and ensuring project goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frame and budget.
- Provides a solution or product that will meet or exceed the customer’s specification and the AGR project proposal.
- Ensure project goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frame and budget.
- Responsible for budget, schedule, and project reports for assigned projects.
- Participate in the Continuous Improvement process.
- Understand and ensure compliance to customer’s specification.
- Create the project SOW.
- Understand the details of what was sold.
- Develop a detailed work breakdown structure (WBS), based on what was sold, for the purpose of monitoring scope and estimating.
- Limit the scope to the WBS. Do not allow out of scope activity.
- Identify out of scope requests from the customer; create and sell a CN to cover the cost, schedule, and contractual impact of the change.
- Ensure CPT members understand and work to the project scope statement only.
- Ensures compliance with all required government codes, e.g., OSHA, CE, UL, NFPA, EPA, etc.
- Reviews project concept, budget, and schedule for customer spec compliance.
- Reviews and understand the cost estimate from applications, for labor and material.
- Escalate identified budget issues that cannot be resolved by the CPT, to management.
- Estimates labor hours and material to complete the project on a weekly basis (ETC).
- Create a detailed budget plan and cash flow, based on the project WBS, for the entire life cycle of the project.
- Ensure conformance to the budget plan.
- Identify potential budget issues/risks: make a plan to avoid or mitigate; implement the plan successfully.
- Identify potential budget opportunities: make a plan to reduce cost based on the opportunity, implement the plan for cost reduction.
- Communicate to all CPT members budgets for labor and material.
- Develop a detailed project schedule based on the WBS.
- Escalate identified schedule issues that cannot be resolved by the project team, to management.
- Manage to the projects critical path.
- Review the schedule details with the project team weekly (at a minimum) and update task percent complete.
- Identify labor resource issues and avoid or mitigate to stay on schedule.
- Identify material delivery issues and expedite through procurement and or engineering to stay on schedule.
- Negotiate with department coordinators for staff assignments to the project team.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates project activities.
- Establishes and maintains timely written communications with all team members.
- Effectively communicates relevant project information to department coordinators and management.
- Facilitates team and customer meetings effectively.
- Mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Act as primary customer contact.
- Maintain good customer working relationship.
- Provides strong leadership to team; mediates and resolves team conflicts.
- Is the Project Team Leader.
- Conducts a weekly project team meeting per the standard team meeting agenda.
- Identifies budget, technical, and schedule issue and creates a plan to resolve or mitigate.
- Escalate technical issues that cannot be resolved by the project team, to management.
- Participates in design reviews.
- Ensures that agreed to changes from design reviews are incorporated into the design.
- Conducts team meetings on a weekly basis to review project status and provide information and guidance to team members.
- Ensures “ship to” documentation is complete and correct.
- Follows established procedures and work instructions outlined in the ISO quality system database and AGR process.
- Monitors / coordinates milestone approvals and payments with customer and staff.
- Reports on project status as needed (budget / schedule / issues / other).
- Identify and present non-conforming issues to Applications engineer responsible for project, and works with engineer to develop a plan of action.
- Obtain and evaluate (with QA’s assistance) customer-supplied product to be run.
- Set up post-project review.
- Coordinates with QA all machine acceptance run-off activities (develop matrix, conduct internal and customer runs, document results).
- Follows safety rules and keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition.
- Adhere to and promote company ethical practices and rules.
- Maintain an awareness of Good Practices for project management and implement what is appropriate for AGR.
- Optimize project cash flow through coordination of P.O. releases and receipt of incoming components.
- Coordinated Installation as needed.
- Assists Purchasing with price, warranty, and delivery issues for assigned projects.
- Reviews project proposals when requested.
- Reviews final documentation package.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from Lean training.
- Follow the ISO9001 procedure for project management.
- Be consistently at work and punctual; clock job times accurately.
- Demonstrated consistent successful performance on large size projects OR multiple medium size projects concurrently.
- Demonstrated the ability to assist PM Dept. Manager to manage, guide and provide necessary assistance to peers and entire department during his/her absence.
- Significant experience managing a cross functional project team.
- Good communication skills.
- Strong computer skills — word processing, spreadsheet.
- Highly proficient with MS Project
This position has not supervisory responsibility
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Able to lift 5 – 10 lbs. routinely (binders, office items, small boxes), occasionally lift up to 50 lbs (project supplies, heavier boxes, etc.)
- Able to sit for extended periods
- Hand and finger dexterity to operate a keyboard, mouse, and write
- Able to physically participate in training sessions, meetings, and presentations
- Able to regularly stand and walk
- Able to commute and travel locally, nationally and internationally
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Travel, with reasonable notice, is expected for this position.
Preferred Education and Experience
- BS. degree in Engineering, Project Management, Engineering Technology, or equivalent.
- PMP certification or equivalent training.
- More than 10 years managing a wide variety of custom automation projects, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.